The History of The Father's House


Butler County Children's Home

In 1869, a group of praying women started the Butler County Children’s Home, to care for orphans of the Civil War. A generous gift, in 1875, allowed the children’s home to move to its permanent location on D Street in Hamilton, Ohio.

After over 100 years of caring for thousands of children, financial difficulties caused its doors to close in 1985. The property then lay dormant for several years.

God's Call

Prior to her death, every time Doreen MacDonald walked past this house she heard God say that He wants to restore this house back to taking care of children. Then as Carrie Halim walked past this house she heard God tell her that children would live here again.

Doreen's Vision

After her death, Doreen’s husband, Tim, began the work of making Doreen’s vision a reality. The old Butler County Children’s Home was purchased and work began to restore the property. After Tim was transferred to California with his job, Daryl and Roxann Gunnarson became the directors of this project and the name was changed to The Father’s House – a literal home to families who are caring for the orphans of our day.

Father's House Overview

Plans To Restore

Upcoming Events